Frequently Asked Questions


Placeholder (do not delete)
Is Swallow Hill a nonprofit?
Yes! We’re a registered 501(c)(3), #84-0781725.

When is the front desk open?
Our front desk is staffed from 12 pm – 9 pm on Monday – Thursday, and during events on Friday – Sunday.

Where do I park?
See up-to-date parking information here.

I have an ADA request - who do I talk to?

Please contact our front desk at 303-777-1003 or before you arrive so we can notify the relevant staff members. The front desk will be happy to coordinate and answer any questions you may have about parking, seating, building access, etc.

I utilize a service dog. Can my service dog accompany me to programming?
Service animals are permitted at Swallow Hill Music. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) defines a service animal as any dog, such as a guide dog or signal dog that is individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. A guest whose service animal poses a threat to the safety of other guests and employees, or whose animal is not housebroken, may be asked to escort the animal off the premises.
What are your cafe hours? What does the cafe serve?

Our Quinlan Cafe downstairs is open for service during performances as well from 5 pm to 9 pm, Monday through Thursday. We serve a selection of alcoholic & non-alcoholic beverages and light packaged snacks, which can be brought into the concert spaces and classrooms.

Can I bring my own refreshments?

Outside alcoholic drinks are not permitted. The Quinlan Cafe has alcoholic & non-alcoholic beverages and snacks available for sale which can be brought into the concert spaces and classrooms. There are also a number of restaurants nearby.

Does Swallow Hill sell new or used instruments or accessories?

No – please contact our neighborhood friends at the Denver Folklore Center or Von’s Violin Shop.

Does Swallow Hill tune or fix instruments?

No – please contact our neighborhood friends at the Denver Folklore Center or Von’s Violin Shop.

Can I rent a practice room at Swallow Hill?

Swallow Hill Music Members can rent practice rooms when available – sign up for a membership and learn about the many other member benefits on this page.

What volunteer opportunities are available?

Our volunteers are at the heart of Swallow Hill Music and we couldn’t bring the joy of music to every day life without them. We have ample opportunities for our community members to donate their time, skills, and expertise.

Opportunities include, but are not limited to:

  • Concert check in
  • Band Merch check out
  • Administrative Support
  • Facilities Support
  • Greeters

To inquire about current opportunities, please email

I'm interested in working at Swallow Hill - are you hiring?

Please see our current openings here.

Do you have any COVID policies?

Please see our current COVID guidelines here.

Donations & Membership

How do I become a Swallow Hill member?

Learn more about our membership program, levels, and benefits here.

How can I make a donation to Swallow Hill?

Thank you for your support! You can donate in a variety of ways here.

Is my donation or membership tax-deductible?

Certain donations are tax-deductible, but memberships are not. For more information please contact

Can I donate my old instrument?

Most likely – please contact us at or 303-777-1003 before coming in to our building to drop it off. We can typically accept most types of stringed instruments as well as pianos, drums, and sound equipment but need to verify the condition of the instrument, etc.

Can I donate sheet music, books, etc.?

No, we do not accept these donations.


Placeholder (do not delete)
Are your concerts for all ages?

All ages are allowed at our concerts. The majority of our concerts are generally family-friendly, however, we cannot guarantee that an artist will fall in line with your family’s values. If you are not certain, we recommend that you research the artist and their music before purchasing tickets. Children 2 and under are free.

Is seating general admission?

Seating is general admission. However, we do offer special seating for our members at the front of our theaters. Visit our membership page to learn more about becoming a member.

What is your refund/cancellation policy for concert tickets?

Swallow Hill Music does not offer refunds for any shows that are produced onsite or with partner organizations, up to, and including, Denver Botanic Gardens. By purchasing a ticket, patrons agree to this no-refund policy. In the event of a cancellation of a performance, Swallow Hill Music will communicate with ticket-holders with next steps.

How do I buy tickets for The MOTH?

AS OF FEBRUARY 2024, tickets for Denver StorySLAMs go on sale 3 weeks prior to the show date at 1 PM MT/ 3 PM ET. All sales final.

Moth Members have an exclusive presale with access to the next month’s tickets one month in advance. To become a Moth Member, visit for details.

Seating is not guaranteed and is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Please be sure to arrive at least 10 minutes before the show. Admission is not guaranteed for late arrivals.

Swallow Hill Music cannot guarantee access nor tickets to The Moth StorySLAM, and with its popularity, it is recommended to purchase tickets in advance. Swallow Hill does not currently facilitate a ticket waitlist or ticket resales for The Moth StorySLAM. Patrons should review The Moth StorySLAM’s policies and Frequently Asked Questions, or contact The Moth directly with further inquiries.

Can my child sit on my lap without buying a ticket?

Children under 2, or those that can reasonably sit on the lap of their guardian, do not need a ticket. If your child requires their own seat, a ticket must be purchased. If a show is sold out, and you have a lap child, they must stay on your lap for the duration of the show that you are seated, and ticket holders must have access to the seats they purchased. Swallow Hill Music staff may require proof of purchase for parties involved. As always, we want each of our patrons to enjoy the music and events they join us for, and cooperation and respect from and for all parties involved is expected.

Can I purchase group concert tickets?

You can purchase up to 10 concert tickets at a time per transaction. We do not currently offer group rates for larger groups. Our concerts are all General Admission seating so we cannot guarantee your group can sit together.

Who do I contact if I would like to be a performing artist at Swallow Hill?

Please send an email to our Concerts team at – please note that with the large amount of booking inquiries and requests Swallow Hill Music receives, our response time may be delayed and you may not receive a response if we determine the inquiry is not a fit.

What are the tech specs for your concert venues?

Please see our Tech Specs document here.


Placeholder (do not delete)
Where are music lessons taught?

All music lessons (including private lessons and group classes) are taught either at our physical location at 71 E Yale Ave. or online via Zoom – some “Hybrid” classes are taught partly online and partly in-person. Our teachers do not go to private homes to give music lessons.

I have a question specifically for my teacher, how do I get in touch with them?

Reach out to our front desk staff at or (303) 777-1003 and they’ll be happy to provide you with your teacher’s contact information.

When can I sign up for group classes/when will new classes be posted? What is a 'session?'

See our current school schedule here. Our music school runs on a calendar of six 8-week long “sessions” throughout the calendar year. During each session, most classes run through all 8 weeks, while some run for 4-7 weeks, and workshops meet 1-3 times. New classes are typically posted 4-5 weeks before the start of each session, and additional workshops and short classes are posted midway through each session.

What are the different kinds of group classes offered?

Outside of private lessons, our group classes fall into a few categories:

Core classes: These classes teach the basics of an instrument or voice in a linear progression through several levels of classes, starting from scratch. These classes are typically labeled ‘1-A’ through ‘4-B’ in our class registration system.

Specialty classes: These classes teach specific techniques or genres on your instrument or voice for a particular skill level. Different specialty classes are offered during every 8-week school session.

Ensembles: These are multi-instrument classes for intermediate to advanced students where students learn songs together in a group. Ensembles typically focus on a particular genre of music.

Workshops: These are short-term classes that meet only 1-3 times and typically cover an intro to specific topics or genres.

What level group class should I be in for my skill level?

We have classes for beginners through advanced players, and we’d be happy to help you figure out where your skills would best fall into that spectrum.

Please email with answers to the following to start a conversation to determine which class you should sign up for:

  • How long have you been playing your instrument/singing?
  • What is your musical background?
  • How comfortable are you reading music?
Can I (or my child) take a semi-private lesson with 1-2 other students?
No, private lessons are only one-on-one with teacher and student. If you would like to learn with 3 or more people, a group class or workshop is for you.

I have a group of 3+ friends/family/children that want to take a class together at a time not offered - how can Swallow Hill help me?

Please fill out our Group Class Suggestion Form here.

Do you offer tuition assistance for students?

Yes! Tuition Assistance is available for those who qualify. Learn more about the application process here.

We do not offer talent-based scholarships.

What are your refund, credit, and transfer policies for group classes?

See our full school policies here.

Still have questions? email us at