Discovery Series at The Cafe
Enjoy fresh music in the newly renovated Cafe at Swallow Hill Music
Thursday evenings starting at 7:30pm. Tickets at the door, cash only: $5 member/ $7 non-member
Feb 6 – Dick Weissman
Feb 13 – Jacob Groopman & Melody Walker
Feb 20 – Far Off Coast
March 6 - J Miller Band
March 13 – WireWood Station
April 3 – The Saturday Giant
April 10 – Circlin’ The Drain
April 17 – Ragged Union
May 1 – Bloody Ol’ Mule and Rev. Deadeye
May 8 – Monocle Band
May 15 – Tom Carleno
May 29 – Jill Cohn
All times noted are a start time. Arrive earlier to sign up.
Every fourth Thursday in the Café at 7:00 pm.
Got a song you’ve just got to share? Come play at our open stage. Sign-ups are at 6:00. Sets are 2-3 songs, depending on the number of players performing. Hosted by Ed McIlvain. Free for members / $1 for non-members.
Best of Open Stage
Third Friday of every month in Tuft Theatre at 7:00 pm.
A showcase of five artists, chosen from previous open stages, will each perform a 20 minute sets. This will allow the performer to share more of their material and the audience to hear more than just a couple of songs. An advanced open stage, if you will, and a possible stepping stone to performing a concert at Swallow Hill Music! Hosted by Dave Devitt. Free for members / $1 for non-members.
Swallow Hill Music offers a variety of jams and performance group opportunities for students and community members. These monthly events offer a great compliment to our classes, private lessons, and workshops. Led by Swallow Hill Music teaching staff, the jams and performance groups are now FREE and OPEN to everyone (members and non-members) alike.
The Jams are a more casual learning and collaborative environment while receiving great direction on technique, performance, and repertoire.
Beginning/Intermediate Irish Session
- First Sunday of every month, 2:00-4:00 p.m.
- This is a beginner/intermediate traditional Irish style music session. We are sheet music friendly so bring a tune or two and your instrument. All instruments and songs welcome. Hosted by John Hammer.
- Second Sunday of every month, 2 p.m.
- Our bluegrass jam is a place for you to try a song out that you’ve been working on or learn new songs that you’ve never heard. Students and community members can drop into this informal and collaborative setting anytime and get direction on technique, performance and song repertoire. Drop-in, tune-up, and chill out. Hosted by Mark Morris.
- Second Saturday of every month, 2 p.m.
- Make music with other people! Take your music out of the classroom and play in a band setting. Hosted by Justin Francoeur.
Performance Session (formerly Song Circle)
- First Saturday of every month, 2 p.m.
- Bring songs you’ve been working on and perform them in a group setting! Learn tips and tricks to play more effectively in a group setting and when accompany a singer. Open to all who sing or play an instrument. Hosted by Justin Francoeur.
- Fourth Sunday of every month, 2 p.m.
- From the Mississippi Delta to the South Side of Chicago, you can experience all styles of the blues at our jam. Learn how to play specific songs and get general tips on the blues form. Our jam leader collaborates with attendees on the song selection and provides direction on technique, soloing, and back-up. The jam leader will help you find a part that is comfortable for you. Most blues songs are only 3 chords and follow a very similar song forms. All instruments and level of players welcome. Styles of blues covered include delta, Piedmont, electric, Chicago, modern, rock, fingerstyle, and folk. Hosted by Bob Kinnard.
Denver Ukulele Community
About the Café
One of the most beloved physical parts of Swallow Hill Music is the Café stage. It was THE original stage from the Denver Folklore Center Concert Hall days, and has hosted a plethora of iconic talent, from Utah Phillips to Taj Mahal, from Joan Baez to Doc Watson and many, many more.
Needless to say, the energy of the Café and the history of its stage makes any performer, be it a beginner or a successful touring musician, feel most welcome and a part of a larger, diverse and historically rich community.
Come Take Part! We have concerts to enjoy, as well as Jams and Open Stages in which anyone can participate.
Become a Member!
Memberships start at just $45. Learn more!
Call for volunteers
If you’re interested in volunteering at Swallow Hill Music Café, we are in need of volunteers, mainly to help with Thursday night concerts, as well as open jams. Tech experience preferred. Contact email@example.com to be considered or for more information.